[GRASS-dev] font path question for Linux and Windows

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue May 1 10:28:30 EDT 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 4:05 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Wolf Bergenheim wrote:
>
>> Trying to find all fonts (within a configured font path) on a Linux
>> system is actually quite easy. Just run the command 'fc-list'
>
> Part of fontconfig. Although that's a fairly common package, it isn't
> guaranteed to be installed, particularly on servers.
>
> It probably won't be present on Windows or MacOSX unless you have a
> fair amount of Linux compatibility stuff installed. I have several
> native GTK+ apps on my Windows box, but no native fc-list. I have a
> Cygwin fc-list, although that fails to list the Windows TTF fonts.

Fontconfig is included in the OSX X11 package, and searches the
standard OSX font locations.  Though this is an optional package for
OSX, it's still required for the current tcltk GUI.  I do know that
at one time fontconfig was NOT included in the OSX X11, but I think
it's in OSX 10.3.9 X11.  I realize we want to reduce dependecy on X11
in OSX, but this looks like a useful tool.

I just thought of another possibility for OSX - AppleScript.  AS can
run from the CLI.  The Font Book application in OSX (which handles
font installation) can return font info for installed fonts,
including font paths.  I can look into that.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people
of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating
the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war