[GRASS-dev] ps.map: raster always under vector map?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 06:47:43 EDT 2007

> Hamish wrote:
> > But one specific issue when I tried the PS driver with d.vect.chart
> > was rendering method of filled areas being drawn as a series of
> > horizontal lines instead of a solid area. Filled vector areas were
> > fine.

[trying the PS driver with d.vect.chart as there is no equivalent ps.map
functionality for this module (n.b. but there is for bubble plots)]

Glynn:
> That's an inevitable problem with using G_plot_polygon(), which does
> its own rasterisation. This cannot be made to work with non-raster
> drivers such as PS and HTMLMAP.
>
> Nothing should ever use G_plot_polygon() in conjuction with the R_* or
> D_* functions; it's only legitimate use is for modules which *need* to
> perform their own rasterising, e.g. v.to.rast or r.in.poly.

ok. there's nothing in the fn's Doxygen comments about that.
(lib/gis/plot.c)

> Of the modules which currently use it:
>
>  display/d.mapgraph/OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/do_graph.o | G_plot_polygon

from the d.mapgraph help page:
"This module is superseded and scheduled for demolition.
Please use 'd.graph -m' instead."

I think we can now safely deactivate the module in the Makefile and
replace it with a something that calls "d.graph -m", ala recent
d.text.freetype. If a script it needs to pass through any input from
stdin. AFAIAC the module is abandonware at this point.

The equivalent section of d.graph uses R_polygon_abs().

>  display/d.vect.chart/OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/bar.o    | G_plot_polygon
>  display/d.vect.chart/OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/pie.o    | G_plot_polygon

is R_polygon_abs() an easy drop-in replacement here?

>  display/d.what.vect/OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/flash.o   | G_plot_polygon

again, R_polygon_abs()? (flashheart strikes again)

Hamish