[GRASS-dev] iconv a required dependency for using Freetype?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue May 8 02:48:06 EDT 2007

On 5/7/07 11:39 PM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hamish
>> If mixing stroke fonts and TTF fonts in the same list, sorting them by
>> name alone would be a pain. I'd rather see the stroke fonts grouped
>> together, at either the top or the bottom of the list.
>
> Michael Barton wrote:
>> While I can see the value in this, actually doing it would be a real
>> pain. I have to sort to remove duplicates. Trying to reorganize the
>> list again by pulling out the stroke fonts and moving into a group is
>> not easy. Sorry.
>
> so wait to add them until after your sort|uniq?

The idea is to get them from d.font -l, rather than parse the actual
freetypecap file and etc/fonts directory directly. d.font -l lists stroke
fonts and freetype fonts all in a single list.

> note the last act of tools/mkftcap is "| sort | uniq", so some of this
> work is already done for you. Where do the duplicates come from then?

Same fonts in different directories. uniq sees them as different because
they have different paths, in spite of being the same font.

Michael

> `sort` has a number of options like --dictionary-order and --ignore-case
> which, if cross-platform, could help pre-sort the freetypecap list as
> needed. Also note `sort` has a --unique flag, although I am not sure if
> that operates just on the --key column or the entire line. If it just
> works on the key column, that would be cool, although that means
> arbitrarily throwing away (perhaps better) variants.
>

> Hamish

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213