[GRASS-dev] trouble compiling v.in.ogr on solaris

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Wed May 9 09:20:54 EDT 2007

I'm currently trying to help some colleagues get a grass6.2 setup
going on a Sun sparcstation.  I got through most of the problems, but
am left with v.in.ogr not properly compiling.  Here's what I get from
a make in that dir:

eratos:~/grass-6.2.1/vector/v.in.ogr> make
gcc -I/dat0/smitch/grass-6.2.1/dist.sparc-sun-solaris2.9/include -I/
usr/local/include -I/opt/sfw/include -g -O2  -I/usr/local/include -I/
opt/sfw/include  -I/usr/local/include     -DPACKAGE=\""grassmods"\"  -
I/usr/local/include -I/dat0/smitch/grass-6.2.1/dist.sparc-sun-
solaris2.9/include \
                 -o OBJ.sparc-sun-solaris2.9/main.o -c main.c
main.c: In function 'main':
main.c:637: error: 'OFTDate' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:637: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
main.c:637: error: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [OBJ.sparc-sun-solaris2.9/main.o] Error 1

That's using GNU Make 3.81, gcc 4.0.3.

Thanks to some archive searches, I realized this could be caused by
having two versions of GDAL hanging around, such that the #ifdef
checking for a version high enough to include OFTDate doesn't
properly match up to the libraries found at compile-time.  And sure
enough, I found that in addition to the GDAL 1.4.1 I thought I was
using, I also found an old version 1.1.9 in a different directory
structure, which was also referenced in my PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and
even the include and lib directories I gave the grass configure.

So now I've moved the offending lib/libgdal* include/gdal* and bin/
gdal* out of the way, but I still get the same error trying to
compile v.in.ogr - am I just being too simplistic in my attempt to
move out the old GDAL?  Is there another possible cause?  Is this
something I need to try make distclean and reconfigure for to clear
out the confusion (I might as well try that now, but it takes a long
time on this system, and I'm 95% sure I tried it already yesterday) ?

Thanks,

Scott