[GRASS-dev] [bug #5118] (grass) v.db.droptable: an 'ERROR' is always issued though the command completes OK

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu May 10 02:48:33 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 01:22:52PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > v.db.droptable mmmm
> > Removing following table name connected to selected layer: mmmm
> > Removing table <mmmm> linked to layer <1> of vector map <mmmm>
> > You must use the force flag to actually remove the the table. Exiting.
> >
> > I think that the "Removing.." message need some fine tuning (maybe
> > conditionalized) to be less confusing.
>

> The first "Removing" line is redundant? (and missing "the")

OK, removed.

> becomes:
> > GRASS> v.db.droptable mmmm
> > Removing table <mmmm> linked to layer <1> of vector map <mmmm>
> > You must use the force flag to actually remove the the table. Exiting.

I have also found a trick for the confusing error message. Now it looks
like this:

GRASS 6.3.cvs (spearfish60):~ > g.copy vect=roads,random --o
Copy vector <roads at PERMANENT> to current mapset as <random>
WARNING: The vector 'random' already exists and will be overwritten.

GRASS 6.3.cvs (spearfish60):~ > v.db.droptable random
Removing table <random> linked to layer <1> of vector map <random>
You must use the force flag to actually remove the table. Exiting.

GRASS 6.3.cvs (spearfish60):~ > v.db.droptable random -f
Removing table <random> linked to layer <1> of vector map <random>
Dropping table <random>...
Current attribute table link(s):
(No database links remaining)

This should solve all problems mentioned in the bug report.

Markus