[GRASS-dev] iconv a required dependency for using Freetype?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu May 10 14:03:38 EDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>>> Whatever these names are, the gui will try to eliminate
>>> duplicates in the
>>> list supplied by d.font -l
>>
>> Ideally that shouldn't be necessary if we can generate the list
>> correctly.
>> But it may still be a while until we sort that out (cf. William's
>> e-mail
>> of this morning with the apparently unexplainable identical copies of
>> fonts in the same file).
>
> Are they really identical?
>
> It's possible that there may be differences which aren't immediately
> obvious, e.g. designed for different sizes (in "real" typography, a
> 72-point glyph isn't quite identical to a 12-point glyph scaled up
> 6:1) or with different hinting.

That's what I'm thinking - some sort of typography distinction.  It's
transparent to the OS font handling.  So far it's just in the dfonts,
but if it really is a typography thing, it could appear in OTF fonts
as well.

Could a debug option be added to g.mkfontcap?  have it list ALL
available attributes from each face so we can see if FreeType sees
any difference besides face index?

Besides typography differences, another possibility is embedded
bitmaps for common sizes.  The resource fonts (ie Arial) definitely
have these, but they are not causing duplicate listings.  The dfonts
may have these, but I'm sure some have more sizes and some less than 3.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect