[GRASS-dev] iconv a required dependency for using Freetype?

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri May 11 14:28:45 EDT 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Wolf Bergenheim wrote:

> Yeah I just noticed. Good work Paul! So there really isn't any need
> then? I mean most people can use some native way of getting information
> about a font. Or do you still see a need for this?

Well Glynn mentioned extending d.font to output more detailed font
information, but I guess that will only be the information that's already
in the fontcap file. There's really no point in complicating d.font by
requiring (part of) it to be built against the Freetype library,
especially as all the intricate Freetype stuff is already in g.mkfontcap.

Maybe William's idea of some extra debug output in g.mkfontcap would be
useful, perhaps an option to add a single new font to fontcap (or provide
extra intricate Freetype details on it), that kind of thing - it could be
extended indefinitely reallly, but I agree that that functionality doesn't
really belong on GRASS, unless the operating system doesn't provide it or
its implementation is broken - which does appear to be the the case with
fc-list outputting the font index numbers at least (they were always 0
IIRC?).

Paul