[GRASS-dev] Re: not quite there on fonts

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sat May 12 18:33:06 EDT 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Michael Barton wrote:

[...]
> Given what you say above, can I set all of these for the GUI session and not
> worry about their impact on how grass functions from the command line during
> that session?
>
>    set env(GRASS_BACKGROUNDCOLOR) "ffffff"

Interesting to see this - I guess this means there's no way to change the
default background colour to anything other than white then? Was thinking
this would be a useful setting for the GUI to have - e.g. I much preferred
the default black background in GRASS <= 5, much easier on the eyes I
thought.

I was also noticing (have been trying out d.histogram while experimenting
with fonts recently) that it seemed a bit non-intuitive that to display a
histogram you had to treat it as a map you were displaying and it appeared
in the Map display Window, with the region setting controls, co-ordinate
display, etc. all intact. I was thinking it might be more logical and look
tidier if it appeared in a separate graph display window - the background
colour could perhaps even be set to be the same as the normal Window
background colour and it might look very neat then.

Maybe the new GUI does something like this already - I suppose I should be
looking at it when commenting like this - this is neither a bug report or
a wish, just a few thoughts I had that I thought I should write down!

Paul