[GRASS-dev] calculating bearing

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 16 10:38:39 EDT 2007

I'm doing a measure tool for wxgrass at the moment and realized that I have
the xy endpoints of each segment being passed to the MeasureDist method. If
there is an easy way to do so, it seems handy to add bearing to the output
along with segment length. Do you think that it is enough of a problem with
latlon regions that I shouldn't add it in?

Michael

On 5/16/07 1:40 AM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>>
>> Is there a simple formula to calculate bearing if you have the
>> beginning xy of a line and the ending xy of the line?
>
> trig:  angle = atan(y/x)    [or atan2()]
>
> see Glynn's warnings in the archives about that going undefined at places.
>
> see also:
>   g.manual m.cogo
>
> it gets ugly with lat/lon great circle calculations as the bearing isn't
> steady. (but there are map projections that help with that)
>
> I've got some matlab functions for doing this if m.cogo isn't your cup
> of tea.
>

> Hamish

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University