[GRASS-dev] Re: not quite there on fonts

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 16 11:11:52 EDT 2007

Maybe a stupid question, but can you give a histogram a blue or green
background? Changing certain functions give all PNG output a black
background, regardless of colors assigned. So it's possible that you still
aren't able to change the color of the histogram. Giving it something other
than white or black would definitely show that it's possible.

Michael

On 5/16/07 5:33 AM, "Paul Kelly" <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2007, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I'll play around with these. But maybe one of you can check to see if
>> d.histogram will actually accept some kind of background color change or if
>> it is hardcoded to white--so I don't waste a lot of time messing with this
>> in situation where it won't work.
>
> FWIW, I was able to achieve my desired black background for the histogram
> plot through changing three things:
> * Setting $GRASS_BACKGROUNDCOLOR to 000000 in gui/tcltk/gis.m/mapcanvas.tcl
> * Changing D_setup(1); to D_setup(0); in display/d.histogram/main.c
> * Removing the hardcoded "background=255:255:255" in the call to g.pnmcomp
> in gui/tcltk/gis.m/mapcanvas.tcl
>
> It's hard to say which is the most important change - all were required -
> after the first change the background originally started off black, but
> the D_setup(1); erased it to white. When I changed *that* so it didn't
> erase it to white first, but plotted the histogram on top of the black
> background, the output was still white. I think that was because it was
> transparent and the transparent parts were being made white by gis.m's
> call to the g.pnmcomp command. So I had to change it too.
>
> Something worth looking at (as Hamish hinted) might be the way D_erase(1);
> erased to the hard-coded value of GRASS_BG_COLOR. As far as I can see
> there is no way to change this without re-compiling - kind of thwarting
> the purpose of it which was presumably to make it easier to change the
> default background colour? Maybe explicit use of DEFAULT_BG_COLOR and
> DEFAULT_FG_COLOR should be replaced by a call to a function which will
> override the hardcoded default values by (yet more) environment variables
> (if present)? I guess $GRASS_BACKGROUNDCOLOR could easily enough be used
> to override DEFAULT_BG_COLOR. I'm not sure of the implications though.
>
> That's probably too much to change now though - an option to set the
> GRASS_BACKGROUNDCOLOR environment variable and removal of the hardcoded
> background=255:255:255 in the call to g.pnmcomp might be enough for now,
> if it doesn't mess up anything else. I've got the behaviour I wanted
> anyway. Regarding d.histogram though, I'm guessing the change to the
> erasing behaviour makes it now contradict the man page which explicitly
> says:
> [...]
> NOTES
> [...]
> d.histogram does not erase the active frame before displaying output.
>

> Paul

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213