[GRASS-dev] getting SWIG/Python to work

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 02:27:46 EDT 2007

Hamish:
> > make distclean doesn't clean these: (they are auto-generated by
> > Makefile) ? interfaces/dig_structs.i
> > ? interfaces/gisdefs.i
> > ? interfaces/vect.i
> >
> > this patch ok?
Markus:
> No - these files should be better autogenerated like the other *.i
> files in that directory.

Those ARE the auto-gen files. They don't get cleaned.

The other files which should be auto-generated but are currently not,
(and in the case of gis.i I notice out of date vs. gis.h) are:

dig_types.i
gis.i
imagedefs.i
imagery.i

is there any special rules for including of not including fns or
definitions? e.g. I see that G_warning and friends are skipped; why?

> > grass63/swig/python$ make
> > Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `clean'
> > ../../include/Make/Rules.make:34: warning: ignoring old commands for
> > target `clean' gcc -c -fpic -I/usr/include/python2.3 -I./
> > -I/usr/local/src/grass/grass63/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/include
> > python_grass6_wrap.c python_grass6_wrap.c:22:20: Python.h: No such
> > file or directory
> [...]
>
> > $ locate Python.h
> > [nothing]
..
> Perhaps we can borrow this from GDAL where things are already solved.

It just needs a little test compile in configure, like everything else?

> > why doesn't it respect -L$(ARCH_LIBDIR) as other things calling
> >   include $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/include/Make/Lib.make
> > do??
>
> No special reason. Please fix it.

No, those lines are already included in the Makefile, but they don't
work. No idea how to fix it.

thanks,
Hamish