[GRASS-dev] Background Colours

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu May 17 11:30:08 EDT 2007

On 5/16/07 11:20 PM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> But I think that d.histogram is the only non-mapping function left that
> matters anymore:

This is because (unlike d.profile) d.histogram can be run in non-interactive
mode to generate graphics output.

>  d.profile is replaced by a much nicer Tcl version,
>  d.linegraph is better done using gnuplot's PS or SVG drivers
>   (+GhostScript/ svg2*).

I agree that d.linegraph is not a very nice or flexible way to create
graphs. The downside of this is it introduces an additional dependency if we
want a module to be able to display a graph. As a user, when I try to use a
tool that appears to be integral to a program, I find it very annoying to
discover that it won't work unless I install another piece of different
software. (This is different from an optional function that purports to
integrate 2 different pieces of software).

Michael

> so a module specific change isn't so bad.
>
> I'll also fix the outdated reference in the man page.

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671