[GRASS-dev] nviz on mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri May 18 09:31:14 EDT 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 5:29 AM, Agustin Diez Castillo wrote:

> Thanks to William nviz is working now on my macintel, latest
> grass6.3 compilation.
>
> On May 17, 2007, at 8:54 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> Add these symlinks:
>>
>> sudo ln -s libtcl8.4.dylib /usr/local/tcltk/lib/libtcl.dylib
>> sudo ln -s libtk8.4.dylib /usr/local/tcltk/lib/libtk.dylib

What he said.  Long explanation:

It appears that the standard TclTk build doesn't create those
symlinks.  So, while you specify the correct dir and configure finds
it, the linker doesn't and falls back to the system tcltk, which
causes NVIZ to crash (older Aqua tcltk).

(I had partially fixed this on my Mac a while back and forgot about
it, and it's been working for me.)

I added the sylink step to the TclTk build instructions in the OSX
readme.  Hopefully this will take care of the mysterious OSX NVIZ
problems many people have been having.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people
of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating
the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war