[GRASS-dev] Re: diff to start wingrass with GUI + com.exe terminal [was: Re: [winGRASS] (no subject)]

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 03:35:46 EDT 2007

Paul Kelly wrote:
> (2) to just launch gis.m and block while waiting for the user to
> exit using File-->Exit

hack:
remove the "&" in the gis.m script (or unset BG_GUI="&" and put $BG_GUI
at the end of the exec "$GRASS_WISH" lines).
Then start gis.m with "exec gis.m" and minimize/hide the cmd window
somehow.

I don't like the idea much of trying to reinvent a Full terminal prompt.
Seems to me we could spend a lot of time on that to recreate what
already exists, poorly. Keep it simple or use something already written.
Having said that, the GRASS terminal prompt from QGIS's GRASS toolbox
looks quite nice.

Glynn:
> Personally, I would favour switching to Python.

If we forget about MSys C:/> path pain for a minute, and assume the
GRASS terminal will not be exposed to the user by default, does it
really matter if the backend interpreter to a script is Python or some
flavour of sh?

Is a full python interpreter needed for the wxPython GUI? (so we can
rely on python already being there?)

Tcl/Tk is still optional. With Python replacing sh for housekeeping
scripts, Python would become mandatory.

If we require Python to be installed, can the compiled SWIG library be
used without additional dependencies? (ie is the swig package only
needed at compile time?) Access to libgis fns opens up other doors.
>>> import python_grass6
>>> path=python_grass6.G_gisbase()
>>> python_grass6.G_convert_dirseps_to_host(path)

?

Hamish