[GRASS-dev] GEM Wizard question

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 02:00:36 EDT 2007

William Kyngesburye wrote:
> Note - there is a libgis function to get a user's home: G_home().  It
> should work on all platforms (it has a mingw special case, but maybe
> it doesn't work on the Win native build?).  It would be handy to have
> a command equivalent to use in scripts, like g.home.

Python/SWIG scripting:
>>> homedir=python_grass6.G_home()
>>> print homedir
/home/hamish

"~" is expanded by the shell AFAIK, so that requires a shell to expand.
"$HOME" works for me, where doesn't it work Michael?*

On ms windows there is %HOMEPATH% and %USERPROFILE%.
No idea how they differ,

MS Windows Command shell overview:
 http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_shelloverview.mspx?mfr=true

[*] GRASS must know where home is, as that's where it looks for .grassrc6.

lib/init/init.bat does:
  if "%HOME%"=="" set HOME=%USERPROFILE%
  set WINGISRC=%HOME%\.grassrc6

lib/init/init.sh does: