[GRASS-dev] can wxPython GUI handle order of options for v.type and alike?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 23 02:24:45 EDT 2007

It might well be possible to parse the existing interface description
better. Perhaps Daniel will be able to look at it more. But, it's hard to
imagine how to create a set of check boxes in such a way to generate a
variable set of type pairs (line,boundary, point,centroid). Perhaps, it
would be easiest to create an options list of permissible pairs (i.e.,
point,area won't work) that the user can select from. This means that the
values would have to be specified differently in the values list of the
original module. The only down side to this is that it doesn't permit
multiple type pairs to be run simultaneously (e.g.,
point,centroid,line,boundary). I'm not sure whether it makes sense to have
more than 2 type pairs at the most.

Michael

On 5/22/07 10:52 PM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> The problem isn't with the information in the module, but with the
> fact that the GUI mistakenly assumes that the order is irrelevant for
> options with "opt->multiple == YES && opt->options != NULL".
>
> [A related issue is that it assumes that each option will occur at
> most once, when this doesn't have to be the case.]
>
> IOW, the GUI assumes that the value is a set when it's really a list.
>
> Now, it would be useful for the module to be able to assert that the
> value really is a set rather than a list, so that the GUI can offer
> more specific interfaces, but there's no reason why the GUI cannot
> just assume lists rather than sets.

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213