[GRASS-dev] can wxPython GUI handle order of options for v.type and alike?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 23 11:37:17 EDT 2007

I've only done a limited amount of work on the autogenerated properties
dialogs. Daniel has done much more on wxgrass and Cedrick did most of the
updates to the TclTk one. So with that disclaimer...

This is certainly a nice interface (JMP stats uses it too). The issue is
that the autogenerated dialogs depend on the xml interface hints to create
their GUI. There would need to be some kind consistent hint in the module
code to prompt either gui to build and populate the correct kind of widgets
appropriately.

>From my look at the xml generated by v.type, it doesn't seem to do a very
good job at this currently, resulting in a minimally functional
autogenerated dialog. Maybe there are hints there that I'm not
understanding. But it looks like we could do with better interface hints
with this module (at least having values as acceptable type pairs rather
than as single types would make it easier) and then finding a way to
transform them into a better interface.

That said, are there other modules that could benefit from the same kind of
interface, or is this the only one? I can't think of any, but it's still
early and there are 300+ modules.

Michael

On 5/23/07 12:46 AM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> It might well be possible to parse the existing interface description
>> better. Perhaps Daniel will be able to look at it more. But, it's hard to
>> imagine how to create a set of check boxes in such a way to generate a
>> variable set of type pairs (line,boundary, point,centroid).
>
> You can't do it with check boxes alone.
>
> A common interface for editing lists is with two list boxes, one
> containing the available options, and one containing the edited list.
> In addition, there are buttons to add an option to the list, remove an
> option, and to move options up or down. Some of this functionality may
> also be available by dragging items within and between the list boxes.
>
> If you have the restriction that an option can only appear once,
> adding it to the list removes it from the set of available options,
> and removing it from the list returns it to the set of available
> options.
>
> An example can be found in the Windows XP explorer (file manager), via
> the "View -> Toolbars -> Customize..." menu option.

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671