[GRASS-dev] updated translation for grass 6.2.2

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon May 28 10:07:30 EDT 2007

Hello Jachym

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> hi,
>
> I checked out the 6.2.2 branch
>
> $ cvs checkout -r grass_6_2_2 grass-6.2.2

grass_6_2_2 is not a branch - it is a "normal" tag corresponding to
version 6.2.2 There isn't a branch for each release - releases just
correspond to the state of a certain branch at the moment in time when
they are tagged. In this case grass_6_2_2 corresponds to a certain moment
in time on the branch releasebranch_6_2 (all the branches have "branch" in
their CVS tag names).

[Side note here: we used to include the date the release was made in the
release tag - a helpful reminder I thought - why not any more? I probably
missed the discussion while this was dropped as there was a period I
didn't have time to read the mailing list that much.]

So if you checkout with "-r releasebranch_6_2" and commit your changes
there, they will go on the branch, and then at some point in the future
the branch releasebranch_6_2 can have a release tagged on it again and
your changes will be included in, e.g. grass_6_2_3 and future release
tags.

Hope that explains it a bit. If you really want to include your changes in
the grass_6_2_2 release, you could probably use the "cvs tag" command to
move the tag to the new versions of the files you committed, but I'm not
sure that would be a good idea - it's kind of messy and would mean what
exactly 6.2.2 included would depend on the time somebody checked it out so
I wouldn't recommend that.

Paul