[GRASS-dev] trying to test error trapping for invalid gisdbase, location, and mapset

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue May 29 15:30:29 EDT 2007

On May 29, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Always as far as I remember. Change the name of your location or
> move it,
> for example, and you get an error at startup. The only way to fix
> it is to
> edit your .grassrc6

Likewise here the other way - that is, as long as I can remember it's
always given the error, then gone into the mapset selection anyways.

Though there is another problem I DO have - if the location or mapset
is invalid, I can't create a new location by values in the GUI -
clicking Define new location with projection values button in the GUI
gives me (the good db name is 'grassdb'):

access: No such file or directory
ERROR: LOCATION << /Users/kyngchaos/Documents/gis/grassdbz/
spearfish60 >>
        not available
     while executing

[previous error message repeated a few times]

"exec -- $env(GISBASE)/etc/grass-xterm-wrapper -name xterm-grass -e
$env(GISBASE)/etc/grass-run.sh $env(GISBASE)/etc/set_data"
     invoked from within
".frame0.frameNMS.seventh.button invoke"
     ("uplevel" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
     (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 22)
     invoked from within
"tk::ButtonUp .frame0.frameNMS.seventh.button"
     (command bound to event)

It doesn't even try to run grass-xterm-wrapper.  Even if I correct
the DB location in the GUI, I get this error.  So it could be related
to the problem you're having.  It works normally in the text startup.

> Maybe, but I've got the same result on different Mac's (PPC and
> Intel). My
> Intel at least has never had an old version of the OS on it. I always
> assumed that this was normal, and have been planning to add an
> error trap
> into gis_set.tcl for a long time, but hadn't gotten around to it.

How about my binary?  I recently added a 5/20 CVS build for download
on my site.

> Note that we just had a report on the GRASS list of someone who had a
> similar error on the Mac. Kind of strange.

Yeah, saw it, figured that's why you started on the error trapping.
It sounded like they were using the old unix build, not a .app
build.  The only difference is pre-init.sh - where the .app sets some
GRASS env var defaults appropriate for the .app.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro