[GRASS-dev] trying to test error trapping for invalid

Agustin Diez Castillo Agustin.Diez at uv.es
Wed May 30 06:25:51 EDT 2007

With two days ago cvs universal installer (built with William's
instructions on iMac macintel) on iMac G5 ppc.
I got
access: No such file or directory
ERROR: LOCATION << //Users/Shared/grassdata/prueba_usuario >> not
available
GRASS GUI should be tcltk

But the gui is showing up, so I can choose the correct option.
If I recall right, this didn't happen before and the only way I was
able to start grass was changing the gui to text.
If I point to an inexistent gisdbase I got a warning on both the
terminal and the gui, but grass starts
ERROR: LOCATION << //Users/Shared/grassdata9/prueba_usuario_Gore >> not
       available
Starting GRASS ...
After accepting the warning it goes up to /Users/Shared
I will check the same in a macintel later.
> OK,
>
> So here is further weirdness.
>
> Michael
>

> ===========
>
> I get an error message and no GUI for gisdbase selection on my old
G4 in the
> [...]
> >
> >> Always as far as I remember. Change the name of your location or
> >> move it,
> >> for example, and you get an error at startup. The only way to fix
> >> it is to
> >> edit your .grassrc6
> >>
> > Likewise here the other way - that is, as long as I can remember it's
> > always given the error, then gone into the mapset selection anyways.
> >
> > Though there is another problem I DO have - if the location or mapset
> > is invalid, I can't create a new location by values in the GUI -
> > clicking Define new location with projection values button in the GUI
> > gives me (the good db name is 'grassdb'):
> >
> > access: No such file or directory
> > ERROR: LOCATION << /Users/kyngchaos/Documents/gis/grassdbz/
> > spearfish60 >>
> >         not available
> >      while executing
> >
> > [previous error message repeated a few times]
> >
> > "exec -- $env(GISBASE)/etc/grass-xterm-wrapper -name xterm-grass -e
> > $env(GISBASE)/etc/grass-run.sh $env(GISBASE)/etc/set_data"
> >      invoked from within
> > ".frame0.frameNMS.seventh.button invoke"
> >      ("uplevel" body line 1)
> >      invoked from within
> > "uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
> >      (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 22)
> >      invoked from within
> > "tk::ButtonUp .frame0.frameNMS.seventh.button"
> >      (command bound to event)
> >

> > It doesn't even try to run grass-xterm-wrapper.  Even if I correct
> > the DB location in the GUI, I get this error.  So it could be related
> > to the problem you're having.  It works normally in the text startup.
> >
> >> Maybe, but I've got the same result on different Mac's (PPC and
> >> Intel). My
> >> Intel at least has never had an old version of the OS on it. I always
> >> assumed that this was normal, and have been planning to add an
> >> error trap
> >> into gis_set.tcl for a long time, but hadn't gotten around to it.
> >>
> > How about my binary?  I recently added a 5/20 CVS build for download
> > on my site.
> >
> >> Note that we just had a report on the GRASS list of someone who had a
> >> similar error on the Mac. Kind of strange.
> >>
> > Yeah, saw it, figured that's why you started on the error trapping.
> > It sounded like they were using the old unix build, not a .app
> > build.  The only difference is pre-init.sh - where the .app sets some
> > GRASS env var defaults appropriate for the .app.
> >
> > -----
> > William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
> > http://www.kyngchaos.com/
> >
> > Theory of the Universe
> >
> > There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
> > what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
> > disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
> > inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
> > already happened.
> >
> > -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro

> Center for Social Dynamics and Complexity

Dr. Agustín Diez Castillo
Departament de Prehistòria i Arqueologia
Universitat de València    Phone:   +34 963 86 42 42
Avda. Blasco Ibañez, 28   Fax:      +34 963 86 42 34
València 46010