No subject

Wed Nov 14 13:37:45 EST 2007

values to sites which don't have them, I'd throw this in the "bad" bug
box as it will silently give you the wrong answer.

In the past I've used @" " as placeholders for no-data records to get
around this. Note that most site modules will be confused by mixed
records like these; really I guess they should check against the "form"
header field but nothing does.

get_site.c only calls G_site_new_struct() once, after that the structure
is never freed or blanked, just overwritten. Thus site->dbl_alloc and
site->str_alloc go up but never down. Maybe ok (or even desirable) for
this to happen, but the values should be reset to NaN's or blank spaces
at least.

I tried freeing it in main.c after G_site_put_new() is called, and
having get_site() call G_site_new_struct() each time it is run, but that
lead to a segfault when a string att was used. Also tried a few other
things but no luck -- but I'm not very good with memory issues so the
problem isn't necessarily a difficult one. Maybe someone else can see
it more clearly.

-==--==-

Updates (I'll add to 5.7 in the next day or so):

* s.in.ascii should now deal with Mac OS9 and DOS text files without
cryptic error messages. Mac OS9 files are rejected while DOS files are
recovered with a warning message.

* now you can feed it x,y positions without a label or numeric attribute
and it will still work.  (bug #1721)

Please test!!

Hamish