No subject

Wed Nov 14 13:37:45 EST 2007

slow, but I do not have much experience with sqlite. As Maciek mentioned,
this would have to be improved.

> About flexibility, the SQL subset handled by SQLite is very large, and the
> limitiations (field name length, number of fields,...) inherent to DBF are
> gone. You don't have the geometric/GIS features of PostgreSQL+PostGIS, but
> as far as RDB handling, you might find yourself willing to delve into SQL
> proper.
>
> As for the best way to interface with GRASS, I don't have a strong opinion.
> For sure we have to extend v.in.db and db.copy. I mostly use db.execute,
> which becomes somewhat superfluous for SQLite since we might bundle the
> sqlite CLI front-end if we bundle the library. v.db.* is a nice way of
> GRASSifying (and foremost integrating) the DB back-ends, but I can't come
> up with a more GRASSy interface, lest we begin experimenting with d.m from
> where Michael gave us the field list.
>
> Anyway, I think that if we have consensus about a DBF->SQLite transition we
> should set up a roadmap.

I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to drop the DBF driver. It is really
used everywhere and is support by many editors, but it is good to have sqlite
as a better alternative already now.

> Daniel.

thanks,
 Otto