wingrass: launching gui and shell [was: Re: [GRASS-dev] Wingrass and TclTk]

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Nov 2 01:16:27 EDT 2007

On 11/1/07 5:44 PM, "Moritz Lennert" <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> Well, currently the gronsole command prompt is very limited,

Granted, it does not permit query/response or other interactive terminal
use. But how is it limited otherwise?

> and so having
> access to a console still has its advantages. Current feedback from
> wingrass users shows that there are not only windows users afraid of
> anything which remotely looks like a command prompt, but also those users
> who are comfortable with grass on the command line in *nix and would like
> to (or have to) run grass on a windows machine. From Benjamin's
> suggestions I also had the feeling that there is a need for the console...
>
> But if we decide to leave the console for power users who can find out how
> to start grass in text mode and, if needed, launch gis.m from there, I'm
> fine with that as well. A new gis.m.bat as the one I proposed makes this
> easier.

What about doing this the other way around. That is, when GRASS is launched
with -tcltk or -gui, it goes directly to the GUI, instead of launching a
terminal first. Then there is a menu item to launch a terminal if a user
wants to.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity