[GRASS-dev] 6.3.0 backport question

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Nov 13 09:39:59 EST 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:

> I have seen a set of fixes in the CVS which haven't been backported
> yet. So far I didn't figure out the magic line to push a fix
> from HEAD to release branch.

This normally works (from the branch):

	cvs update -j HEAD <filename>
	cvs commit <filename>

There can be problems if you want to merge a file more than once after
it has been branched, but I don't recall whether it affects the case
of merging from the trunk to a branch (the CVS documentation only
covers merging a branch into the trunk).

Using two -j flags with explicit revision numbers will always work,
but that's awkward for changes which span multiple files. I have had
problems with the "-j branch:date" form; an alternative is to tag by
date then merge using the tag.

As a fallback, you can use "cvs diff" to extract the changes as a
patch, then manually apply it to the branch.