[GRASS-dev] [grass-code I][535] v.external: vector maps linked cannot be removed

grass-dev at grass.itc.it grass-dev at grass.itc.it
Thu Nov 22 07:55:15 EST 2007

code I item #535, was opened at 2007-11-22 13:55
Issue type: other bug
Issue status: None
GRASS version: CVS HEAD
GRASS component: vector
Operating system: Linux
Operating system version: Debian testing
GRASS CVS checkout date, if applies (YYMMDD): 071122

Initial Comment:
I have linked some vector maps from a PostGIS db with v.external. After linking, they show up nicely (although nothing else can be done with them, but this is not the point). The problem is, these linked vectors cannot be removed.
"g.remove vect=map1" seems to remove the data, but the map name is still shown with "g.list vect".

A detailed description of the process:

Linking with v.external works well; nothing appears in the vector-subdirectory of the mapset, but g.list vect shows that the map is there, and it shows nicely with d.vect

g.remove vect= gives the following information:

harri at pentheus:~/grass/TS/PI_AR$ g.remove vect=sites2
WARNING: Unable to delete file
         '/home/harri/work/grass/TS/PI_AR/vector/sites2/hist'
WARNING: couldn't be removed
WARNING: <sites2> nothing removed

Which is uderstandable, as there never was any 'sites2' in the vector directory.

However, something gets removed, as 'd.vect sites2' does not work anymore:

harri at pentheus:~/grass/TS/PI_AR$ d.vect sites2
WARNING: Cannot Open Vector sites2 Head File
WARNING: Unable to read head file
ERROR: Unable to open vector map <sites2 at PI_AR> on topology level 0

Nor does 'v.external' provide any way to remove the maps.

Best Wishes,

Harri K.