[GRASS-dev] 6.3.0 release - need to set default font

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Nov 25 14:20:53 EST 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> Also, where is the GRASS default font set to Romans?

mon.select (display/d.mon/pgms/select.c) and LOC_init()
(lib/raster/loc_io.c).

> Now that we have a system-wide fontcap, that normally would include nice
> TrueType fonts, wouldn't it be better to first try to default to a TrueType
> font and drop back to Romans only if that font couldn't be found?
>
> e.g., whatever sets the default font first looks to see if a GRASS_FONT
> variable is set in .grassrc6. If not, it scans fontcap for Helvetica, Vera
> sans, Ariel, or some such nice san-serif TrueType font. If a font on a
> restricted list of likely fonts is not found, it then defaults to the Romans
> stroke font.

This doesn't belong in the libraries.

The only reason why there *is* a default font is so that there is
(hopefully) always a current font.

The default is a stroke font because both the stroke fonts and the
code which uses them should always be present. A system may not have
any TrueType fonts and GRASS may have been built without FreeType
support.