[GRASS-dev] compiling GRASS 6.3.0RC2 on Solaris 10

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 14:55:19 EST 2007

Andreas Lange wrote:
> i finally managed to compile and install GRASS 6.3.0RC2 on Solaris 10
> Sparc.
>
> I installed the packages from www.sunfreeware.com for the gnu tools
> (tar, gcc etc.). I can mail a list of the packages if needed.

yes please.

> I found the following problems:
> - make has to be used with "make SHELL=/bin/bash" or the scripts are not
> executed (there are still many "bash'isms" in the scripts!).
> - the scripts in tools directory are not working on solaris, as /bin/sh
> is a standard unix shell, no bash as on linux. So i had to edit all to
> #!/bin/bash . I think that the configure/make mechanism has to be
> changed, so that bash is used (then bash has to be a prerequisite) or
> the scripts should be edited to contain no bash-specific code.
>
> - all the startup scripts use "#!/bin/sh", but use bash-specific code.
> So with default installation, grass can not be started. I had to edit
> all to "#!/bin/bash".

Please report all bashisms you find. (specifically what breaks & where)
Most bashisms should be removed already due to newer Ubuntus using dash as
/bin/sh -- there shouldn't be many left.

> But the help system needs konquerer, which is not present on Solaris.
> exporting GRASS_HELP_BROWSER=firefox works.
> Suggestion: add another line in Init.sh to detect "firefox".

You are right, the test is for mozilla-firefox not firefox. It only defaults to
konq if no other browser was found. Init.sh does this:
        if [ -f "$i/htmlview" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=htmlview
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/konqueror" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=konqueror
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/mozilla" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=mozilla
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/mozilla-firefox" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=mozilla-firefox
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/opera" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=opera
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/netscape" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=netscape
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/dillo" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=dillo
            break
        fi
if [ ! "$GRASS_HTML_BROWSER" ] ; then
    echo "WARNING: Searched for a web browser, but none found." 1>&2
    # even so we set konqueror to make lib/gis/parser.c happy:
    GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=konqueror
fi
export GRASS_HTML_BROWSER

> The option "Help->About System" starts another instance of the gis
> manager.

ISTR someone else had reported this recently?

> Where is the correct place to add the information about compiling on
> solaris (grass wiki or other?)?
> I hope i can add the text later.

the wiki is a great place for it. we can link to it from the downloads page.

thanks,
Hamish