[GRASS-dev] compiling GRASS 6.3.0RC2 on Solaris 10

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Nov 25 16:37:52 EST 2007

Andreas C. Lange wrote:

> - ./configure needs to be executed with:
> ./configure --with-srcdir=$(pwd) or
> $(pwd)/configure
> or it does not work.

In what way does it not work? On Linux, I don't have any problems
using "./configure" without any --with-srcdir switch.

> - i had to manually edit include/make/Platform.make
> to change CURSES = -lncurses $(COMPATLIB) to
> CURSES = -lcurses $(COMPATLIB).
> Problem on solaris 10 is, that ncurses is installed in /usr/local, but
> the header file is in /usr/local/include/ncurses/ncurses.h
> configure detects ncurses, but the link phase does not work, as
> initscr32 from system curses library is needed.
> Maybe ln -s /usr/local/include/ncurses/ncurses.h
> /usr/local/include/ncurses.h works too.

--with-includes=/usr/local/include/ncurses would probably suffice,
assuming that you want to use that version.

> - the scripts in tools directory are not working on solaris, as /bin/sh
> is a standard unix shell, no bash as on linux. So i had to edit all to
> #!/bin/bash . I think that the configure/make mechanism has to be
> changed, so that bash is used (then bash has to be a prerequisite) or
> the scripts should be edited to contain no bash-specific code.
>
> - all the startup scripts use "#!/bin/sh", but use bash-specific code.
> So with default installation, grass can not be started. I had to edit
> all to
>  "#!/bin/bash". On Solaris 10 /bin/sh is a symlink to /sbin/sh, but i am
> not shure if it is wise to change to /bin/bash, as the system may not
> start in case of problems.

Can you describe the specific problems?

Although there are some bash-isms, I don't believe that they are
nearly as widespread as you suggest.