[GRASS-dev] compiling GRASS 6.3.0RC2 on Solaris 10

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Nov 26 13:11:11 EST 2007

Andreas C. Lange wrote:

> > > - the scripts in tools directory are not working on solaris, as /bin/sh
> > > is a standard unix shell, no bash as on linux. So i had to edit all to
> > > #!/bin/bash . I think that the configure/make mechanism has to be
> > > changed, so that bash is used (then bash has to be a prerequisite) or
> > > the scripts should be edited to contain no bash-specific code.
> > >
> > > - all the startup scripts use "#!/bin/sh", but use bash-specific code.
> > > So with default installation, grass can not be started. I had to edit
> > > all to
> > >  "#!/bin/bash". On Solaris 10 /bin/sh is a symlink to /sbin/sh, but i am
> > > not shure if it is wise to change to /bin/bash, as the system may not
> > > start in case of problems.
> >

> I can now narrow down the problems to:
> tools/mkhtml.sh
> tools/module_synopsis.sh
>
> Changing all occurences of "if ! test ..." to "if [ ! test ... ]" it
> works now.

The latter is incorrect; it should just be "if [ ! ... ]", without the
"test".

"[" is just an alias for "test", except that it requires a matching "]".

Does Solaris' shell have "test" built in, or is it supposed to be an
external program? Bash has test and [ built in, but most Linux systems
also have them as external programs (from the GNU coreutils package).