[GRASS-dev] raster offset with cairo driver

Lars Ahlzen lars at ahlzen.com
Tue Nov 27 22:11:39 EST 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>
>> raster offset and fonts now look ok, good stuff guys.
>>
>> I've updated the fancy example on the wiki page to show off the fancy compass:
>>  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Cairo_driver#Examples
>>

>> d.out.file now has added support for ps, svg, and pdf by way of the Cairo
>> driver.
>>
>> but it doesn't work, I get output like this for the simple spearfish example:
>
> [snip]
>
> It works for me. Where "works" means "renders everything then dumps
> the resulting raster image to a 14MiB PostScript file".

Cairo does have an unfortunate tendency to sometimes render to raster
and embed that into the requested format, presumably as some kind of
"last resort" when it (or the selected format) doesn't support some
drawing operation.

I haven't done enough testing to figure out exactly when this happens or
what triggers it.

> Well, that rules out using cairo for the core of the 7.x graphics
> architecture.

Perhaps. Then again,

* Depending on what the options are, it might be a lot easier to find
those cases where Cairo goes into "raster rendering" mode and work
around them or otherwise prevent them from happening. While this is not
explicitly mentioned in the Cairo documentation (AFAIK), the Cairo
developers (or the source) might be able to provide more insight.

* While Cairo is fairly mature today, I'm sure it will improve further
before GRASS 7 is out. Some, or all, of these problems might even be
gone by then. Especially if these issues are actually mentioned as a
problem to the Cairo devs... :)

Granted, is hard to predict what will happen in the future, but at this
point, I wouldn't entirely dismiss Cairo as an option.

Of course, that's just my two cents...

/ Lars

--
Lars Ahlzen