[GRASS-dev] installed makefile cleanup

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Oct 3 10:05:25 EDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 4:52 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> I sortof understand this.  Until you can work out the necessary
>> changes (if you decide to), how about some minimal changes to the the
>> extension compilation working?
>
> Unfortunately, use of the "get it working for now" approach is
> responsible for much of the current mess. I'd rather take the
> opportunity to improve matters than to make them worse.

OK.  I guess I'm just being a bit impatient.

So, you're working on this now? ;)  Or will get to it?  I think this
can greatly simplify Benjamin's GEM, as well as allow external
"extension" building.

>> - grass.make.in: add at end:
>>
>> ifdef INST_XTN
>> include $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/include/Make/Install_xtn.make
>> endif
>>
>> and have a new Install_xtn.make fragment.  This is just a trimmed
>> version of the main makefile with just install targets and any
>> unnecessary bits removed.  It expects INST_DIR_XTN to be set in the
>> make command.
>>

> I'm not sure that this needs to be conditionalised. If there are parts
> of the top-level Makefile which might be useful to extensions, they
> should be moved into one of the *.make files (or a new file).
>
> In general, the *.make files should define as much as possible
> unconditionally, and leave it up to either individual Makefiles or the
> user to decide what actually gets used.

Just to make sure: the main makefile's install target will override
that makefile frag's install target, in a normal build, since the
main makefile defines it after this frag is included?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy