[GRASS-dev] another make problem (OSX, but could be a general problem)

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Oct 7 00:03:05 EDT 2007

On Oct 4, 2007, at 9:08 PM, Scott Mitchell wrote:

>> I wonder what version other linux distros are at?
>
> Ugh, all my machines use 3.80
>
> Debian 3.1, Fedora 5, MacOSX Tiger

So, do you have the incremental compile problem on any of these?  If
you run make immediately after a successful make, does it recompile
everything?

> BUT I've been conservative with my upgrades, leading to package
> databases that are no longer actively maintained.  Debian 4.0 is
> the current stable, and it's at make 3.81-2.  Fedora 7 also uses 3.81.
>
> So if Apple would just update the Dev Tools, we wouldn't need to
> install our own, but that's (I'm guessing) waiting for the new OS
> release.

yeah, hopefully Apple updates make in Leopard.  I think Apple aims
for stability thru the life of the major OS version.  Towards the end
of the version lifecycle things can seem wildly out of date, and
Tiger has had an unusually long life.

On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:05 PM, Hamish wrote:
> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> I'd be happy with the unconditional pipe and recommending to
>> developers to upgrade their make and not worrying about the 1-shot
>> user builds.
>
> Maybe not as much for Mac-land, but for othe UNIXs worrying about
> self compiles
> is a big deal.

Well, I think on any system it's not a big problem when you just
configure-make-install - you don't see the problem.  That's what I
meant by a 1-shot build.

>> I wonder what version other linux distros are at?
>
> Debian Etch (stable):  3.81-2
> Debian Sarge (old stable):  3.80-9
> Debian unstable:  3.81-3
>
> latest CVS builds fine on Etch, and it did work fine on Sarge last
> time I
> tried. I can try again on Sarge with the latest CVS if it helps,
> let me know.

Just to make sure, the simplest way to check is after a successful
make, run make again and see if everything recompiles.

I asked about versions, but forgot to ask if others had the problem
on systems with make 3.80.  I wonder if it really is just an OSX make
glitch.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy