[GRASS-dev] trouble with man page generation

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Oct 8 14:56:30 EDT 2007

On Mon, October 8, 2007 17:37, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
>> I have the feeling the latest change in the man/Makefile [1] has
>> introduced a bug. When I run make in that directory nothing happens.
>> When I use the previous version of the Makefile, man pages get created.
>
> Which version of make are you using?

GNU Make 3.81

> Also, do the manual pages already exist? They won't be re-created if
> they're newer than the HTML files (the previous version would always
> re-create them).

Running make distclean, then configure & make, I get no errors during
compilation, but there is no man directory in dist.i486-pc-linux-gnu/.
When I revert to the previous version of the Makefile, I get
dist.i486-pc-linux-gnu/man/man1 populated with the man pages.

I'm no expert in Makefiles at all, but in the current version we have

[...]
MANPAGES := $(patsubst $(HTMLDIR)/%.html,$(MANDIR)/%.$(SECT),$(wildcard
$(HTMLDIR)/*.html))

include $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/include/Make/Dir.make

default: $(MANPAGES)

$(MANDIR):
	$(MKDIR) $(MANDIR)

$(MANDIR)/%.$(SECT): $(HTMLDIR)/%.html | $(MANDIR)

The default is $(MANPAGES), is this a valid target ?

Moritz