[GRASS-dev] [grass-code R][506] v.what.rast should be able to use other methods like bilinear

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Mon Oct 8 16:27:29 EDT 2007

grass-dev at grass.itc.it wrote:

> v.what.rast does what I need, but only with nearest
> neighbor sampling.  I could use v.sample, but that
> creates a new map/table, and the only way to get the
> attribute back to the original map is to use an SQL join,

William,

For a workaround, you can also link the output vector's
datatable to another layer in the input vector; sth like:

$ v.sample -b input=pts_in col=value out=pts_out rast=xxx
$ v.db.connect map=pts_in driver=dbf table=pts_out layer=2

BTW - anybody knows how to just copy a column from table to
table? Or update an existing column in one column with the
content of a column in another table? That's be the easiest
workaround.

> which is unsupported in dbf and sqlite databases.

SQLite supports JOIN AFAICT. Does it fail in GRASS? Can you
provide a test case?

> Furthermore, IMHO, v.rast.what should,
> through options,  do whatever v.sample does and v.sample
> should be be eliminated.

I have added the suggestion to GRASS 7 ideas on WIKI.

Maciek