[GRASS-dev] [bug #4141] (grass) more sql statements for db.execute

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Mon Oct 8 19:33:35 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 22:44 +0200, Maciek Sieczka via RT wrote:
> guest wrote (Mon, Mar 6 2006 17:36:36):
>
> > maybe this sql statement support could be added to db.execute as well:
> >
> > this doesn't work:
> > echo "SELECT gkz,name,bev0100,bevm0100,bevw0100 FROM stand,testregion WHERE
> > plz = gkz" | db.execute
> >
> > this is fine:
> > echo "SELECT gkz,name,bev0100,bevm0100,bevw0100 FROM stand,testregion WHERE
> > plz = gkz" | psql -U dassau ifak
>
> By accident I have laerned today that db.execute is not supposed to support
> SELECT query. We have db.select for that. In that case, do we call the case
> closed?
>
> Maciek

(I didn't follow the entire thread, so my comments may be useless.
YMMV. :-)

Personally, I'd like db.select merged into db.execute.  I don't use the
db.* commands daily and I've fallen into the above case before.
However, I quickly remember the more appropriate usage.

OTOH, db.execute isn't supposed to return and resulting set, which is
why db.select exists (to my knowledge).  I've committed a change in CVS
to db.execute.html noting this and suggests using db.select.

I would consider this closed.

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>