[GRASS-dev] srtm plus format and European bathymetry

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Oct 13 10:26:21 EDT 2007

Ultimately, I'm trying to locate bathymetry off the coast of Europe to
create a DEM of Pleistocene Europe during times of low sea level (i.e.,
-300m).

Following the FreeGIS.org link off the GRASS download data page, I found a
site with "STRM30 plus" that combine 1km SRTM with bathymetry
<ftp://topex.ucsd.edu/pub/srtm30_plus/data>. This seems just what I need.
However, I can't figure out the format or how to import it into GRASS. The
files show up like " w020n90.Bathmetry.srtm". I've tried r.in.gdal and
r.in.strm to no avail. I thought maybe the files were compressed and tried
to uncompress them without luck.

Can anyone suggest what to do with these files? And barring that, any
suggestions for an alternative site of bathymetry I can patch into my Europe
map?

Thanks
Michael
Director of Graduate Studies