[GRASS-dev] Cairo monitor driver

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Sun Oct 14 15:01:14 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 19:36 +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
> The main thing to bear in mind is that the graphics system is going to
> be completely re-written for 7.x.

Could your provide details?  I've seen bits here and there, but it would
be nice to have a summary of planned changes in one place.

> If Cairo is available for both Windows and MacOSX (natively, i.e. not
> requiring X11), and does an adequate job of PostScript generation
> (embedding a pre-rendered image in a PostScript file doesn't count),
> it could be a viable basis for the new graphics architecture.

Yes, Cairo is available without X11.  It comes with recent versions of
GTK, but is available as a completely separate standalone library.

>From http://www.cairographics.org/download/ (Windows):

"You want "cairo-1.4.8.zip", the binary distribution at "libpng 1.2.8",
and "Zlib 1.2.3" (you can search on those strings to find them in the
page). That should be it. Just pop libcairo-2.dll, libpng13.dll and
zlib1.dll into your working directory or system PATH, and away you go!"

> > I can of course post code too, if anyone would be interested in actually
> > trying it.
>
> The code would certainly be useful.

+1

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785