[GRASS-dev] Cairo monitor driver

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 05:31:55 EDT 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:
> One of the main areas where this is relevant is if we want translucent
> layers. It's possible to simulate translucency in PostScript using
> pattern fills, but you need to be careful when selecting the grid
> (frequency, phase, orientation) or else you can get artifacts.

Older versions of Surfer (the commercial 3D surface rendering program) that I
have used do that for area fills- shades of grey are many dots of varying
density. The PS output is a massive file which takes a silly amount of time to
render in gv and is generally an all-around PITA to work with.  (meant as an
anecdote, not as a condemnation of the approach)

Hamish