[GRASS-dev] r.random: now with optional cover map parameter

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 06:15:16 EDT 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:
> since v.what.rast is (for me) extremely slow, I have added
> cover map support to r.random.
..
> PS: v.what.rast still running on just 300k points while I
>     implemented above :-) Anyone who could make v.what.rast faster?

Maybe it's the qsort(), maybe it's the i,j loop within a loop.

# spearfish example of the slowness
g.region -d
v.random n=50000 out=rand50k
v.db.addtable rand50k column="elev INT"
v.what.rast rand50k rast=elevation.dem column=elev

Could someone in the know add some profiling how-to tips on the Wiki development page?
  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_Debugging#Using_a_profiling_tool

see also this thread WRT v.rast.stats slowness,
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/22730

Hamish