[GRASS-dev] make on SMP [was: GRASS 6.3.0 release preparation]

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Thu Oct 18 03:38:03 EDT 2007

Soeren Gebbert wrote:
> Looks like the gpde library causes some problems. :/
> I guess this is related to the Makefile. The gpde lib Makefile copies the
> N_pde.h
> header file into the build include directory before compiling:
>
> MODULE_TOPDIR = ../..
>
> EXTRA_LIBS=$(GISLIB) $(G3DLIB)
> LIB_NAME = $(GPDE_LIBNAME)
>
> include $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/include/Make/Lib.make
> include $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/include/Make/Doxygen.make
>
> default: headers lib
>
> headers:
>         for file in ./N_*.h ; do $(INSTALL_DATA) $$file
> $(GISBASE)/include/grass/ ; done
>
> lib: headers
>
> #doxygen:
> DOXNAME=gpde
>

> I don't know why this is not working on a smp machine?
> Are you using NFS?

No.

> Maybe there is a delay while copying the header?

I don't know if that's relevant, but at the same time when
the build takes place, one of the cores is rather loaded by
a shell script, which does lot's of disk r/w operations.
Could this be the cause? (BTW - can I safely "pause" a GRASS
shell script? I'd like to check if it's the culprit but
don't want to terminate it).

> Sorry, i cant help much in this case, my Makefile knowledge is very limited.

Maciek