[GRASS-dev] make on SMP [was: GRASS 6.3.0 release preparation]

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Oct 21 15:23:01 EDT 2007

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> > But that means rewriting every single Makefile.
>
> Glynn
>
> After your recent commits in CVS I'm able to build GRASS 6.3
> with make -j3 without any errors, no matter that one core
> and HDD are pretty busy with other things. Does that mean
> you managed to fix this issue or was I just lucky?

I think that the most recent change to Module.make will have fixed a
lot of the problems.

OTOH, I've just fixed[1] some problems with NVIZ' Makefiles which
could have caused problems on parallel builds, and it's just luck that
you avoided those.

There may still be problems lurking. When it comes to parallel make,
testing is a fairly hit-and-miss concept, as most bugs depend upon
exactly when particular commands get executed, and it's practically
impossible to generate specific test cases.

[1] Or maybe made them worse. The reason I left NVIZ alone until now
was that the Makefiles were a mess. Although I fixed some obvious
problems, I may have introduced some new ones while cleaning up.