[GRASS-dev] Re: problem with G_fatal_error

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Oct 23 11:37:06 EDT 2007

On 10/23/07 6:25 AM, "Benjamin Ducke" <benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de>
wrote:

> GRASS has earned our appreciation as a GUI-independent GIS toolbox, but
> the fact remains that a GUI-integrated approach such as QGIS will open
> it up to a multitude of new users and we need to support this in my
> opinion.
> Of course, GRASS' stability throughout the years has much relied on
> the clean, Unix-based design that especially Glynn has been keeping
> in a consistent state, but I am sure we can find bridges here.

I couldn't agree more about the importance of a GUI to a large and growing
number of GRASS users. I can't help but point out that GRASS also has its
own GUI-integrated approach, that includes all available modules and is
actively under development (mature, stable TclTk and development wxPython).
Because it follows a different philosophy of integrating high-level GRASS
module commands rather than the lower-level GRASS libraries, we don't run
into this kind of problem as much.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity