[GRASS-dev] GAL Framework and GRASS rasters

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 15:53:27 EDT 2007

Markus:
> > > We are collecting ideas for GRASS 7 at
> > > http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_7_ideas_collection#Raster

Radek:
> > Thanks, I read that and I found this page
> > http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Replacement_raster_format too. I have
> > some first thoughts. Should I discuss them first here or I may just edit
> > that page?

Martin:
> I guess better to edit wiki-page directly... All ideas shoud be
> collected there...

I would say discuss ideas on the mailing list then summarize discussion on the
wiki. Otherwise there is no discussion, just the last person to edit the wiki
page sets the (supposed) direction. Also ideas get much wider exposure on the
mailing list in the short term. The key of course is getting an objective &
unbiased expert to post the mailing summary on the wiki like kernel trap :) And
also to realize that I expect the wiki page will probably only ever be a list
of ideas from the community, not a firm specification which the folks doing the
actual coding will stringently follow. (unless those coders use the wiki as
their central planning tool)
Of course ideas from all corners are important so don't stop editing the wiki!

2c,
Hamish