[GRASS-dev] Wingrass and TclTk

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Oct 30 07:41:30 EDT 2007

Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> Thanks, Glynn, for your detailed answers to this and
> my other mail. That clarifies things a whole lot.
>
> Re. the make problems: for the time being, I backported
> some Makefiles from an older CVS copy that don't use
> the "|" (this shows up right on my screen!) and all works fine
> (except lib/forms/Makefile where I still copy around .h files
> by hand) for now. It's all a bit of a nuisance but no critical
> thing right now.

Hopefully, the Makefile issues should be solved now (insofar as you
can actually build everything; incremental re-compiling will have some
inefficiencies).

> All other issues I reported earlier (concerning Tcl/Tk and NVIZ)
> vanished once I followed Moritz' advise and started GRASS directly
> w/o going through the MSYS terminal and shell.
>
> Unfortunately, my current workload will not allow me to spend much
> more time on WinGRASS for the next two weeks or so.
> I hope I will be able to get back to it once GRASS 6.3.0 final is
> released and polish things up.

I would hope to get any significant problems with Windows (other than
monitor drivers) sorted out for the 6.3.0 release.

> Thanks again, everyone, for all the support in getting these things
> figured out. I think a really smooth version of GRASS on Windows is
> just a matter of a bit of fine-tuning (and getting the Win sockets
> thing figured out) now.

I'm not sure whether it's worth the effort; standalone monitors will
disappear altogether for 7.x. Anyone who has a desperate need for them
on Windows can always use Cygwin (where they work fine).