[GRASS-dev] new std options for files

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Sep 7 08:10:40 EDT 2007

HamishB wrote:

>> Hamish wrote:
>> > as earlier mentioned* I'd like to change the Option struct to
>> > rationalize the ->description and ->label parts.
>> >
>> > currently, if a label is defined it becomes the description, and the
>> > description becomes the tooltip. This is non-intuitive and
>> > inconsistent.
> so we have three possible levels of verbosity for an option description:
>   ->label:       a few words
>   ->tooltip:     a paragraph/short example showing format (doesn't exist)
>
> I think it is a good idea to keep ->description (as commonly used now)
> short and to the point, ie shorter than ~65 chars (so it fits on one
> line). Certainly the label should quite short. It looks bad when the
> description is line wrapped in --help, or colliding with the right side
> of the GUI window.

I would like to bring up this issue again (since I am confused):

Currently only about 10 modules use
module->label

In the GUI pop up it is even printed in the wrong vertical order
if above definition is true + there is ugly vertical space between
these two lines.

Question: what's the point of module->label? Take it out or
modify 290+ modules? We need some consistency...
Is there anything using module->label|description as tooltip?

confused (about why we need two things to do nearly the same),
Markus