[GRASS-dev] TclTk animator finished - replaces xganim

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Sep 14 11:24:00 EDT 2007

On 9/13/07 10:58 PM, "Michael Barton" <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:

> On 9/13/07 7:13 PM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:
>

>> Michael Barton wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for clarifying this. It isn't described anywhere in the xganim docs,
>>> so I was unable to get it to animate more than a few maps.
>>>
>>> The parsing in the new TclTk module is still simpler. It will correctly
>>> recognize rast[1-100].
>>
>> That's an odd definition of "correct". Users are likely to expect
>> [...] to follow glob/regexp semantics (match a single character from
>> the set), so "rast[1-100]" should be equivalent to "rast[01]".
>
> Command line Linux users and programmers who use glob/regexp semantics might
> well expect this. Non-programmer users, especially of non-Linux platforms
> probably will understand [1-100] as meaning from 1 to 100. In either case, it
> needs to go into the docs so that a user will know how to specify maps that
> end in 1 to 100
>
> [1-100] or [1-9][0-9][0]
>
> The latter is harder to explain in docs than the former to someone not
> familiar with regexp--and even some of us familiar with it.

After sleeping on this, I think the best solution is (as often the case) to
have both kinds of syntax--a conceptually simpler kind rast(1-100) and still
allow the more complex but more flexible glob/regexp syntax for those who
understand and love it.

Are parens OK for this? I don't think we would normally expect them in map
names.

If we go back to the pattern match routine you originally used (with TclTk
string match) and combine it with my parsing of rast[1-n], this should be
doable.

The main problem I think I was having with a pure TclTk implementation of
this was not parsing the multicolumn format of g.list correctly. I can
switch to g.mlist for the moment and switch back to g.list when flat output
becomes available. The latter is preferable because it doesn't risk hitting
bashisms that won't run on Windows (i.e., in the g.mlist script).

I'll see what  I can do over the weekend.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University