[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-PSC] GRASS 7 Migration from CVS to SVN

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 13:27:41 EDT 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Dear PSC,
>
> we should decide (or give a recommendation to the
> developers team) about the migration from CVS to SVN.
> This is currently holding the start of GRASS 7 development.

Good point Markus. I have been wondering about new development, and migration
to SVN- looks like they are connected.

> Essentially, all want to migrate to SVN for various
> advantages already discussed. But we have to define
> where the hosting will take place. Currently there
> are two offers:
>
> - SVN with GForge at Intevation in Germany
> - SVN with Trac and Wiki at OSGeo.org
>
> With help from Martin Landa I made a Wiki page to
> confront both suggestions:
>
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/SVN_hosting

This contains a good summary.

> I suggest to discuss this now, add further comments
> on the Wiki page where appropriate, decide and
> then really do it soon. There is no real reason
> to wait any longer.

I vote +1 (?) for moving to SVN as hosted by OSGeo.org. After spending some
time with Trac on my own projects I have really come to like it. Furthermore,
integration with the rest of OSGeo would be a good thing. Having the source
code next to projects like GDAL, Mapserver, etc. might even entice some new
developers into the GRASS community.

> Please visit the Wiki page and come up with
> comments. I cc to the grass-dev list to reach
> all interested people.
>
> Markus

Thanks Markus.

Cheers,