[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-PSC] GRASS 7 Migration from CVS to SVN

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 23:41:16 EDT 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
> > Very important to me though is that we get a ViewCVS 0.9.3 interface
> > on par with what we have now. There are a number of different
> > flavours of SCM-web interfaces around, but I've not met one as nice
> > and usable as our ViewCVS yet. (mostly I quite like ours and find all
> > others I've tried to be no where close) I depend on it heavily for
> > diffs and exploring the source tree + code history.
>
> That's technically possible, see Martin's Test-SVN:
> http://josef.fsv.cvut.cz/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?root=grass7svn

Very nice. Only minor loss is that you can't instantly see the
number of revisions an individual file has had. e.g.

  http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/lib/gis/?sortby=rev

shows that parser.c is the most edited at rev 1.130.
(it should be split into several files)

But as the versioning is a SVN thing, I don't think we can help that, so
just a comment.

H:
> > How to best archive the "grass" 5 repo without losing the change
> > history? If SCM moves away from intevation.de, we must expect that
> > one day they will want to turn the historical CVS server off.
M:
> Sure - but this can always happen everywhere.
> We could focus on GRASS 7 repo now and spend more time later to do
> a full conversion of grass/ (GRASS 5) with all branches which is
> causing some problems right now.

I wasn't thinking of migrating the old CVSs to a new live SVN repo, just
archiving them somewhere so if someone wants it they can set it up.

Hamish