[GRASS-dev] r.neighbors bug in cvs

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Wed Sep 19 15:16:42 EDT 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:44:52 -0700
Dylan Beaudette <dylan.beaudette at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Trevor Wiens wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:19:07 +0100
> >
> > Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:
> > > Fixed in CVS, with:
> >
> > Confirmed. Downloaded and retested this morning. Thanks

> Are there any mechanisms in place such that core modules like this can be
> tested on a regular basis for correct results ?

I don't know what would be ideal, but one possiblity would be to start building a testing map set for the Spearfish data set and some simple scripts to go with it.

In the case of r.neighbors for example I would think as simple script would be ideal.
something like
begin loop through neighbors operations
	r.neighbors over limited area
	r.what to extract values from specific location
	results match
		report OK
	results don't match
		report problem
end loop

I would think that if this was slowly built up for each core module, then future developers could simply use this as a testing mechanism which should speed development.

Also, prior to release a master script could run each of these in turn against the rc versions to make sure that the core functionality was still working.

I realize this is labour intensive but have no suggestions as to a quicker but still reliable method.

For myself, I doubt I will have little time to this, as I still have v.buffer waiting to be fixed on my to do list.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)