[GRASS-dev] creating location from the command line

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Apr 6 12:32:53 EDT 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 10:55 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> 1. Individual modules can write whatever they want under cell_misc.
> E.g. the fftreal and fftimag files written by i.fft are in host byte
> order.

Ugh, didn't know about that one (we took care of the stroke fonts and
portable.h already).  This would make it impossible to work with the
same fft map data on PPC and Intel OSX, or sharing fft map data
between different platforms (most Mac users consider "OSX" the
platform, not the "processor" type).

> 2. Even when portable formats are used, the precise choice of format
> may be platform-specific.

Maybe we need to specify that anything written must be in a portable
format.  And provide some library functions (maybe already there?) for
writing data in a portable way.

Another item for GRASS 7, I suppose...

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy